I love turmeric and if you look back at my previous blogs I try to use it daily in my favorite…… Chai tea. It is a miracle plant from India and according to HealthDiaries.com the benefits are endless !!
The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Tumeric has been used for over 2500 years in India, where it was most likely first used as a dye.
The medicinal properties of this spice have been slowly revealing themselves over the centuries. Long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, recent research has revealed that turmeric is a natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many different health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer’s disease.
Here are 20 health benefits of turmeric:
1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.
7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
10. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
WOW is all I can say !!! To make your own Turmeric Mask follow these simple instructions and enjoy. You can also use your favorite oil to add to the recipe. See Below:
- ½ cup garbanzo (chickpea) flour
- 1 ½ Tbsp ground turmeric (Note from Mommypotamus: Regular turmeric is fine for most people, but some people have reported that it stains. A patch test is recommended. Alternately, you can use kasturi turmeric, which does not stain)
- 5 drops of your favorite beneficial oil.
- 1-2 tsp filtered water
Almond Oil (sweet)
- softens, soothes and reconditions
- rich in essential fatty acids (EFAs) and Vitamins A, B1, B2, D, and E
- good for those with psoriasis, eczema
Borage Seed Oil
- reduces inflammation and calms skin
- promotes blood flow
- good for eczema, acne, rosacea
- non-allergenic, so good for skin sensitivities
- good for oily skin
Hemp Seed Oil
- nutrition for your skin – antioxidant, protein, mineral-rich
- contains Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C, D, and E
- high amounts of chlorophyll
- good for eczema, psoriasis, acne, and dry skin
- Mix the flour and turmeric and save in an airtight container until you are ready to prepare your mask.
- To prepare the mask, mix 1 Tbsp of the flour mixture with 5 drops of oil and enough water to make a paste.
- Smooth the mixture on your face and neck, avoiding the eyes.
- Let the mixture remain on your face until it dries (about 15 minutes) and then wash it off in the shower.
- Make sure you remember to take your shirt off before you put this mask on. Avoid getting this mask on your clothes because it might stain!
Sit Back and Relax!
Make sure you try this mask when you can relax and enjoy it…like while you are taking a nice Epsom salt detox bath! After using this mask your skin will feel unbelievably soft, firm, supple and radiant!
Thanks to Mommypotamus